Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Flowers Uncut

Yes, I had it programmed into my tivo before the premiere. Most of you know that at any given time, if you were to walk in on us watching tv, it would be about a 50/50 chance that you'd see wedding dresses, flowers, or wedding cakes on the screen. We really do live weddings in our house! My new favorite thing, thanks to the TLC station, is Jeff Leatham and his team. They create the most amazing flower designs for events in New York City. He's worked all over the world, and I now have a huge case of flower envy for the events at Versaille as well as the MoMA...who gets to do flowers for an event sitting at tables surrounded by original Monets?! After the first episode, I wanted to work for him. After the third, I realized that he needed to come up with a couple of new ideas because some of the arrangements are the same from event to event...but it made me smile to see that he re-uses vases. I do that too! It also made me nod knowingly to hear him drop costs on some of the episodes...yes...for something that beautiful, you're talking $4,500 just in flowers...add in supplies, labor, and his name to the deal, and you can just imagine how high his invoices soar.



I am so much of a flower geek at this point, that it made me giggle to see how many times he used hydrangea (I recommend it all the time as a money saver...and here he is using it as a major design piece in every single event!) as well as that he hired someone else to come in and build bouquets and boutonnieres for him on a wedding. He does events...locations...full rooms of flowers...not personal bouquets. Hmm. Maybe I can call and suggest myself. ;) The final smile is that Jeff is actually from Ogden, Utah! Yes, you heard me! This funny man in cut-off tees and leather pants, with the mouth of a sailor when riled, and who sports a questionable accent because of all the locations he's lived, is a home-town boy made famous! How fun is that?!

Ahh...share the flower love and joy with me, people! Thank you TLC for combining so many of the things that I love most!

No comments:

Post a Comment